In some homes, the dishwasher is a catchall appliance for washing all kind of different items. Things like children’s toys and plastic storage bins are commonly put into the dishwasher for disinfecting.
But, your dishwasher is a highly-sensitive appliance, and anytime that you use an appliance in a way that was not intended, you are running the risk of damage or breakdown. Imagine you put a plastic item in the dishwasher and it gets melted to the inside of the filter. Now you have a broken dishwasher that you can’t use for washing dishes.
Here are some recommendations from appliance repair companies of what you can – and can’t – put in the dishwasher safely:
These items should NEVER be put in the dishwasher:
- Hardware from cabinet or dresser drawers. The dishwasher will get these items clean but, it will also rub away the finish. These items should be hand washed in a tub of soapy water.
- Garden tools. Most of these are stainless steel and the water from the dishwasher will cause them to rust and corrode.
- The water in the dishwasher is 140. The rubber in your shoes could be damaged by this temperature.
- Soap dishes and toothbrush holders. These items have soap residue in them and when the water from inside the dishwasher starts, the soap residue will turn to suds and that is damaging to the dishwasher.
These items are safe to put in the dishwasher:
- Your baseball hat. If you put it in the dishwasher on the top shelf, it will keep its shape and get clean.
- Cup holders from inside of your car. These are essentially cups and are safe to put in the dishwasher.
- The shelving from your refrigerator. Whether you have glass or wire racks, if it fits in the dishwasher it can safely be washed.
- Light switch covers. Wipe them down with a wet rag first, and then place them in the dishwasher.
- The dividers or protectors inside of your drawers. These items are great for keeping drawers organized and they are save to put in the dishwasher.
Before you toss anything into the dishwasher, make sure that you take a look at this list. Your dishwasher is a great appliance and can get a lot done for you but, there are limits and if you put something that you shouldn’t – you could damage your dishwasher for good.